A firearm endorsement is declaration from SAPSA that a specific firearm is fit for the purpose of IPSC sport shooting. This document is fundamental to a license application under Section 16 (Sport Shooting).
This endorsement letter goes hand-in-hand with a Dedicated Status letter. Both should be included in a new firearm license application under Section 16.
Dedicated Status (DS) is the second fundamental part of Sport Shooting, specifically for licensing firearms under Section 16. Dedicated Status is achieved by:
- Being a paid up member in good standing to an accredited sport shooting club (such as Vektor)
- Being a paid up member of the relevant province (in our case NGPSA)
- Being a paid up member of SAPSA
- Collecting 6 dedicated points
Normally a new shooter would start sport shooting with his/her self-defence pistol, participating in club shoots until 6 points are accumulated (one point per sanctioned club shoot).
Procedure for Applying
NOTE: ONLY FOR VEKTOR CLUB MEMBERS!
The procedure for applying for endorsements and DS letters are very strict, with many checks and balances. It is however not complicated at all, simply follow these steps:
- Double check that you have achieved Dedicated Status (6 points) in this calendar year (or the previous year if you have not achieved it this year yet).
- LOGIN to your account on the Vektor website
- If you are a paid up Vektor Member, you will see “Endorsement Request” under your Account menu.
- Fill in the details of the firearm, and click Submit.
- The club Chairman will automatically receive your endorsement request, and will then check: correctly completed form, club records of your DS points, payment status, and whether you are in good standing.
- The club Chairman will then approve, and forward to the Provincial Chairman (we send to NGPSA).
- Provincial Chairman will perform similar checks on provincial records, and if approved, will forward to SAPSA Admin Officer.
- SAPSA Admin Officer will also perform a long list of checks. If approved, she will create a PDF document with the endorsement declaration, and a second PDF file with a DS letter.
Please note that once the club Chairman approves your request, it can take up to 7 days for the cycle to complete.